Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My father's pictures

My mother asked me to come out to New Jersey and help her go through my fathers stuff. We cleaned out the closets and selected items to give to charity. Other items I placed in the dumpster out by the parking lot.

I knew my mother had a collection of photographs of the family and I asked if we could go through them. I was curious about what was there and it's been a long time since I've seen any of these things.


There was a sizable tupperware chest filled with items in the bedroom closet. I dragged it into the den and we went through the contents together. There was a lot of stuff in there. Pictures of all of my grandparents, my mother and father, and brothers. High school report cards (my mothers), graduation pictures, immigration documents, and items dating back to the 1920's were found in the chest. We reviewed everything.


I collected as much as I could carry. I'll probably go back and take as much as my mother will let me have. My mother won't let me have everything.

I'm organizing what I took home and intend to do something with them. I don't know what yet.

The photographs will be scanned. The government has been petitioned for my fathers military service records. I've asked some questions. I'll have to ask more. It's a process.

I even found some things that belonged to me. I haven't seen these things since I last wore them in 1973.


I'll post something about what I've found soon. This will take time, but please stand by.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment