Saturday, May 8, 2010

NYC Blackout 8/2003 #2



The last NYC blackout occurred on 8/14/2003. I was consulting midtown and I got a few shots of what was happening around the city.
People were confused but generally the mood was one of calm. It was hot. Street vendors sold bottles of Poland Spring. Only pizza shops were serving food. Their bari ovens used gas and not electricity.

The above shot is 42nd street looking east from the Grand Central overpass. Traffic was at a standstill so it was easy to get up there. People were on the streets wondering how to get out to the boroughs or NJ.


Here is Times Sq looking south at 43rd street. Notice that the news screen is dark as are the other signs. I should have gone back when it was dark to see what it was like and get a picture.



I spent the night in Union Square since it was a so hot and the AC was out. I found a clean card board box to use as a mattress. Many people had the same idea.
Musicians were playing music and banging tom toms all night long and there were dancers performing in 'glow in the dark' costumes. It was a party.

Why no pictures of the performers? Oh, never mind.

'There are 8 million stories in the Naked City. This has been one of them'

If you were here for the black out, and even if you weren't, I'd be interested to see your comments.

More later...

1 comment:

  1. I was working at an ad agency downtown on Hudson St. When the lights first went out, we thought it was another terrorist attack. Sept. 11, 2001 wasn't so far from our memories.

    There was no subway or PATH service. I ended up taking my first ferry ride to Jersey City from World Financial Center. Once I arrived on the Jersey side, I had to figure out how to get home. I had recently moved to NJ and wasn't that familiar with the streets.

    I remember how hot it was that night. No a/c.

    ReplyDelete