Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Independence Day 2010

My friend Alex invited people up to his apartment to see the fireworks on the 4th of July. He lives in a really nice hi rise on fifth avenue and his apartment is on the 63rd floor. There are 2 apartments on each floor and Alex's faces west. It's a great place for sunsets and fireworks over the Hudson.  

The building with the needle antennae in the picture below is the Conde Nast building. I hear that they are moving out.

 

These are views of the sunset from Alex's kitchen. I guess it was about 8:15 pm when I took these. The heatwave was coming on.


This is Linda, Alex's wife. She is cutting up vegetables. There was sushi, vegetables with dip, knishes of some sort, and later sandwiches from Sarge's deli on 3rd avenue. I didn't get more pictures of the food because I was shmoozing, otherwise I would have photographed what we were eating.


I think some of these pictures are pretty.


Here is Jim and Alex. Jim is an anesthesiologist and has been assisting in very many cosmetic procedures. There has been a spike in liposuction's it seems, which is characteristic of the onset of summer.


These remaining shots are of the fireworks. Photographing fireworks, for me, is like catching lightening in a bottle. I never know what I'm going to get with my hurting camera and limited skill.


I took about 70 pictures and thought these were the most interesting.  The building with the red light on the left is 1 Penn Plaza and Madison Square Garden is across the street.




Thanks Alex for a great time and the opportunity to take these photographs.

I hope I get invited again!

2 comments: